At best, electrical faults can be disruptive; at worst, they can be dangerous. Unfortunately, whether you’re at home or in the office, it’s inevitable that you’re likely to experience some electrical problems once in a while. We recommend taking some time to properly identify any electrical hazards in your property. These should be addressed as soon as possible with the help of a qualified, local electrician. Sean Conroy Electrician LLC is the electrician of choice from Boston to the south shore.
It’s important to understand the causes behind common electrical problems so you can recognize that it’s time to have them checked by a trusted electrician to ensure your ongoing welfare and safety.
Most Common Electrical Problems in The Home
Not all warning signs are loud, but that doesn’t mean that they’re not serious. When it comes to the safety of your family, it’s important to be aware of the quiet clues that your home may have a major electrical problem.
If you are experiencing electrical problems in your home – don’t panic. It’s likely that you’re suffering the same common electrical faults as in your home as millions of other homeowners and with years of experience, it won’t be anything new for your local electrician to repair or replace!
Flickering lights can be the result of a poor connection that could eventually lead to sparking, overheating, or even a fire if left unrepaired. If your light bulb is regularly ‘going out’ before coming back, it’s also possible that you’re using a bulb with too high a wattage.
If you’re experiencing this often, turn off all the faulty bulbs and have a Boston electrician check the connection. If they come across a loose or corroded wire that is making contact, then they will be able to advise a repair or replacement.
If you or someone in your family experience an electrical shock, it needs to be addressed immediately to prevent further harm. An electrical shock may occur due to a specific faulty device or poor wiring. Don’t attempt to find out the problem yourself, have a local electrician come over to check as soon as possible.
High Electric Bill
If you’re hit by an unexpected, abnormally high electricity bill, then it may be a sign that something is wrong with the electrical appliances or wiring within your home. Damaged wires and circuits are often the culprit and can contribute to a high electricity bill.
As best practice, also ensure that you and your family are unplugging any unused devices, appliances, and chargers.
Power surges are a spike in power which causes a current increase in your outlets. Unfortunately, frequent surges can cause damage to your electronics and cut their lifespan drastically. Usually, a power surge cannot be helped as they’re either caused by lightening strikes,damaged power lines, or an error by your power company.
However, although you cannot control what happens outside of your home, you can control what is.
We recommend using a whole house surge protector to protect your appliances from damage.
A hot outlet to the touch is a sign that the outlet is overloaded. This means that the wiring can’t
currently carry the electrical load of the appliances plugged into it. This can result in a fire.
Immediately unplug the devices from the outlet and spread them around various other outlets in
Most Common Electrical Problems in The Office
Maintaining your office space is extremely important for businesses and overseeing electrical issues
is a crucial part of that. There are a lot of common electrical problems for offices that must be dealt
with so you can prevent expensive downtime and keep your staff protected.
We always recommend that electrical maintenance and sufficient safety checks are carried out by a
professional regularly to help prevent any issues or serious accidents in the workplace.
Old and Damaged Equipment
Due to everyone’s busy schedule and limited time, occasionally electric appliances used in
commercial settings can be forgotten. Everything is assumed to be working as it should be until the
equipment gets damaged or causes an accident.
To help protect your business and its employees, contact your local electrician for a routine
inspection of your electrical equipment.
Incorrect or old wiring cannot carry the same amount of current that is needed to safely power
devices, this can cause those devices to burn out or become damaged. Wrong-sized wires can also
overheat and cause a fire, risking your employee’s welfare. It’s important to get your workplace
inspected for electrical hazards by a qualified, trusted electrician near you.
Unfortunately, some workplaces are at a greater risk of electrical hazards. This includes workplaces
with operating conditions that expose the equipment to moisture, heat, corrosive chemicals, and
dust. If proper hygiene and operating procedures are not followed then employees and visitors are
more likely to suffer an injury from an electrical issue.
Do you have a policy to ensure that all lights (and appliances) are switched off before the building is
locked up? To protect your workplace when not in use, ensure that all lights are switched off before
the end of the day. Any exposed wires from lighting must be tucked away to prevent the lights
We all make mistakes and can be forgetful. It’s important to have regular electrical safety talks with your team and position helpful signs around the workplace that serve as reminders on how to practice electrical safety day-to-day.
Summary – Contact Your Local, Trusted Electrician Today!
Are you moving to a new office? Are you concerned about old wiring in your existing workplace? Or are you facing electrical problems in your home? Whatever the reason, it’s time to contact a trusted, affordable electrician local to you. With every call-out, we pride ourselves on our cleanliness, professionalism, and honesty.
As licensed electricians, we can help make your home, office, or business, a safer place.
Call us today at (617) 504-5647.